Sunday, December 1, 2013

Holiday Season


It’s that time of year when I sit back, take a breath…and realize I am one impatient woman! (This, ahem, might not be a surprise to my family or friends).
I hope I’m a thankful one too.  I’m blessed with a nice family (that's my not-so-crafty husband, Tim Makinen) and a group of friends who share the craft-community-vision.  I really couldn’t do this without Robin Miller-Smith, Jane Reiter, Sue Ziel and Shirley K. Bentsen.  Their insight, vision, guidance and support are more important to me than they will ever know. Photo coming soon!

I don’t want to get all misty-eyed and corn ball, but without the crafty community who supports national –caliber artists at the local venue of SmittenDust Studio, we couldn’t do this creative journey either.  You know who you are.  So do I, and I thank you.
Speaking of artists…my everlasting thanks go to my long time friend, Kari McKnight Holbrook.  She has smart and curious mixed into her bag of creative tricks. Kari’s wacky, wonderful and equally talented Aussie BFF, Jen Crossley is fun, kind, giving and … did I mention FUN?!  You can’t help but laugh and learn when you’re with those two.
Sweet, uber-talented, giving and gifted, Kristen Robinson encompasses the sense of community we envision at SmittenDust. What a special week many of us shared.  I still miss this girl!  She has promised to return in 2014 – stay tuned!
We’re adding to the Nice Girls Club!  There are some really awesome national and local artists who are working out their 2014 calendars to come and play at SmittenDust!  Woot!  When they are confirmed, you’ll know all about it!
Anyway, back to impatience (or was it distraction?)  On January 18, 2014 we will have owned our building for one year, 365 days.  In that time, we’ve painted and painted, added chandeliers, cabinets, air conditioning, a water softener, a secret garden with fencing from a turn of the century cemetery, a new rubber roof (ouch!), new toilet, new refrigerator, china dishes, gold tableware, tables and chairs… oh my!

Time and money.  Oh, the things we could do with more of either or both! My super power would be to control time.  More time for fun, less time for boring meetings and traffic jams.

Deep breath.  You know what I realized after working my full time job with Gift of Life Michigan (are you an organ donor?) during the day and SmittenDust Studio evenings and weekends?  I’ve got to work smarter, because I can’t work any harder! 

<Insert impatience here>

In the spirit of working smarter, we have two fabulous workshops in January.  I mean, seriously fab! 

The Vision Board Workshop with Tricia Headley is a transformative event.  Remember New Year’s resolutions?  Pishaw!  Forget those.  My vision board is framed and in my office.  I look at it every day and see if I’m veering off track.  (Me?)
I remember cutting out the phrase “Take Control of Your Sleep” and I couldn’t, for the life of me, say why.  But I cut it out and it wound up near the middle of the vision board.  Ummm, yeah, that became super important as I loaded up my to-do list three or four months down the road.  Sleep did become a priority.
I am really excited about this technique journal!  It's lovely!
The Creativity Collage Journal with Jacqueline Sullivan 
Jaci is someone I’ve wanted to take classes from for years, but it never worked out.  I’m looking forward to this class.  I hear from others she is a very giving and generous teacher.  And honestly? Who doesn’t love to make journals! Plus, she’s a Golden Artist Educator so we’ll learn LOTS of new things!

We’re working on the 2014 calendar now!

  • Look for the monthly Sunday, Craft 911!
  • Lots of Zentangle-y with Jane Reiter, the tanglewrangler
  • We’re deep in to planning a weekend to “Run Away with the Circus” in cold, dreary February!  You know you’d want to if it weren’t for work, kids, family, mortgage – oh, never mind.  It’ll be a weekend full of circus themed crafts and a bunch of surprises!
  • A local artist who loves upcycling and treasure hunts
  • Prayer Flags with Shirley K. Bentsen in March
Classes and events will be posted here.  Poke around often!

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post and I'm pleased to see Tim get a shout out -- I have fond memories of his bringing in food for us during workshops, and I know he was quite the hand at painting!

    I'm so glad we have SmittenDust in our community and I look forward to a 2014 of tremendous workshops and great fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie! You are a dear. Thanks for all the support and friendship.

      Delete
  2. Cheers to your first year! So glad to see the community blooming and growing, I can't wait to see what else is on the horizon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a wonderful year - full of art, inspiration, friendship and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne! Your support means so much to me.

      Delete
  4. Dusty and Tim, you've done so much with this building and it really shows! The garden gates are new since I was there. Looking forward to seeing them in person! Thank for all you do to provide us with great artists and workshops! Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cecile! You have certainly seen the transformations! Thank you so much for your support - and all the way from Ohio! There are some surprises in store that will make you want to take another road trip to the mitten!

      Delete
  5. Not sure I've entered this on the right page, but I just wanted to let you know how much fun I had yesterday at Jacqueline Sullivan's workshop! It was great to meet you and the wonderful women who shared their creativity in your fabulous studio! XO, Georgie

    ReplyDelete